Friday, August 17, 2007

So....where are you from?

Yes, my skin is brown... Yes, I dont have blue eyes or light hair, and YES, I have curves.... so I know I am different that the ideal image of an 'american' ... then why do I get annoyed when people ask me... 'where are you from?' hmmm what do you mean where am i from? I am sitting here in front of you ....sitting with you ... in this place, city, state, country... hmmm ... i dont have an accent... neither does my husband.... we have US passports.... so u still want to know where we are from?

just a short story - as we were crossing the Canada - U.S. border ....the well paid officer for the country asked me... to see our passports and I handed him two US passports and then he asked me... .after looking at the passports, 'country of citizenship ?'...hmmmmm should I tell him what i am thinking? - 'you freaking dumbass, you have two US passports...what the freak do you think is our country of citizenship?'... but I bit my tounge - probl for the better and said... 'United States' and I thought that was it...But he continued to ask - 'Both of you?' .... wow what should i say? he is getting paid from my tax dollars...they really do pick them right huh? Would he have asked the same question to two individuals who are white with blue eyes and blonde hair? Probl not...not knowing that most blue eyed-blondes are russian or french... but that wouldnt be a concern for him...since it fits his mold for 'american'....

And then again on our first anniversary trip at the B&B, at the breakfast table...another lodger asked us - so where are you guys from? polite enough...right? and we respond nicely enough - 'Philadelphia' ....and she responds 'Oh, I would have thought India'... what the heck?

So I have an advice for folks who would like to know our nationality.... ask something like - 'What country is your lineage from?' or 'What is your ethnicity?' or something like 'What is your ancestory?' but u get the idea.... just frustrating...honestly! or even better keep asking everyone you meet, regardless of color where they are from and wait for them to explain how their great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents came to the country on a boat and landed on Ellis Island...and then I will be happy!

5 comments:

S. said...

Lol..funny! Yeah, I get real irritated by that question too. God, when will that question stop!!!

Unknown said...

soo...where are you from?

noah_sarah said...

So where are we really from ?? Are we from the US or are we from INDIA or are we from our parents..
Good Question....

Sini Abraham said...

i think if someone wants to know my ethnicity, they should ask exactly that. If they ask me where I am from - i will forever answer PA or something along those lines. Or maybe I will just start giving crazy answers like - 'Jupiter'

Unknown said...

Is jupiter your fav planet?